LOCAL HISTORY VISIT TO BLAKENEY

 

 

At our meeting in July Rosemary Thew one of our members introduced us to the village of Blakeney and its history.

 

Once a commercial seaport, Blakeney has some superb buildings from Merchants Houses to Fisherman’s Cottages and is bursting with historic pride. The church of St Nicholas dates back to the 1300's and is a well-known landmark with the smaller tower built as a beacon to guide boats into the harbour

.

During our visit to the village the following month the group visited the church and then walked round the village.

The photograph is of the group outside the “Old Guildhall” with its 14th century under-croft, this is adjacent to a man-made lookout point called Mariners Hill.